On 11, Apr, 2011, at 17:26 , Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> Sure, but, if you also need locators, don't you need additional IP space to
>>> use for locators?
>>
>> No, those are the IP address that you provider gives to your border router.
>>
> Right... In addition to my provider independent addresses... That's more
> address space than is required
> if I am not using LISP.

No, you just use the IP addresses of the interface to your upstream as
"locators".
Those addresses are there anyway, right?
So using LISP is not adding anything.

>> No true. I ask for a PI block that I will use as EID-Prefix, then the
>> locators are part of the address space of my providers.
>> There is no duplication.
>>

> Right... Ordinarily, without LISP, I get a PI block and use that for EID and
> the routing is based on the
> EID prefix. With LISP, the EID prefix is PI and I use additional PA resources
> to do the routing locators.
> That's what I meant by duplication. There are additional PA resources
> required on top of the PI in order
> to make LISP work.

I still do not see this duplication (may be I need more coffee this morning..)
You do not need to modify anything in the PA space of your provider. Those
resources are there and are used to make your block reachable also without
LISP.

Luigi