On 05/24/2011 11:12 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Lou Katz<l...@metron.com>  wrote:
An "elegant" idea, done in by changing technology.   *sigh*

As USENIX director I sponsored and sheparded this project, called "Stargate".
We at least got bits into the blanking interval at WTBS in Altanta.
So... would this have been feasible today? given the bandwidth
required to send a full feed these days, i suspect likely not, eh?
(even if you were able to do it on all 500+ channels in parallel)

All you need these days is an MPEG4 decoder and some ATSC tuners, and you can regenerate most of the alt. namespace locally. For the rest you may need a subscription to netflix a DVD drive, and some ripping software.

I wonder what usenet would take for bandwidth if you ditched all the pirated content.

-Paul