On 2/17/12 11:55 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
USB->Serial adapters.  Preferably selected so they are driverless on
both OSX and Windows.:)

If you preinstall the Prolific PL-2303 (either commercial or open source driver version, at least on Mac) or MOSChip, you'll have drivers for 99% of the USB to serial adapters out there.

I still long for the day when someone makes a true 16550 based USB to serial adapter... Some of the stuff I need to reprogram at the shop at times does not like the cheapie chips that are most common - I've bricked an APC network manager card at least once for that specific reason...

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org