On 05/18/12 10:37 +0800, Thames wrote:
I would like to get some input for the following problem we face with
YouTube video streaming.

We are an ISP in Singapore and peer with Google at Equinix and SOX
(Singapore Open Exchange), For about 2 weeks we have been facing choppy
streaming or continuous buffering on various YouTube videos. These problem
videos are streamed at HD or original quality.  Our troubleshooting narrow
down to those bad videos being streamed to us from outside Singapore. We
contacted Google support, they are confused too, as why we are served from
a cache server in Poland on one of the videos. The case has been escalated
within Google, unfortunately no update from them since.

Not all YouTube videos are bad through us, some 45 minutes videos can
fully buffered within seconds on HD or original quality, of course the IP
we streamed for these videos are through our local peering with Google.

-Thames

Thames,

We went through something similar here about a year ago. It took around two
weeks for Google engineers to resolve the trouble, however, the problem has
popped up once or twice since then.

Here is a post from the nanog archives that describes a workaround, where
you relay youtube dns queries to another DNS resolver in your area that
does not experience the problem:

http://seclists.org/nanog/2011/May/21

--
Dan White