On Fri, 29 Jun 2012, Mike Lyon wrote:

Whatever happened to UPSs and generators?

They can and do fail. See list archives for numerous reports and examples :)

Generators are capable of not starting.
ATSs can get into a situation where they don't transfer loads properly, or they can't start the generator(s)
UPSs can fail, drain out, or be left in bypass.
Breakers can trip and need a manual reset
etc...

jms