On 12/01/2012 11:55 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
ps. I work for a division of my employer that does not yet have IPv6 support in
its rather popular consumer software product. Demand for IPv6 from our rather
large customer base is, at present, essentially nonexistent, and other things
would be way above it in the stack-ranked backlog(s) anyway. One could argue
that until we add IPv6 support throughout our systems, consumers will continue
to demand IPv4 connectivity from operators in order to run software like ours,
rather than us being cut off from any meaningful proportion of customers.

Yes, but unlike Skype, most popular applications have competitors and whichever
competitor provides the better user experience will cut the others off from a
meaningful proportion of their customers.

You have a really strange metric of what constitutes a "better user experience".
I look at things like enrollment/take rates, friending, reviews, etc to
determine
whether people are having a better user experience. I can with all sincerity say
that ipv6 is not something that provides a "better user experience". I enabled
it
for my site just because I was curious and linode makes getting v6 dead simple
and I didn't think I had anything that would puke on v6 (I didn't). If it took
any
more effort than that, I'd have gone and found something else to be curious
about because it wouldn't have been worth my time given things that really
do impact user experience.

Mike