On 2012-12-14, at 11:42, Nick Hilliard <n...@foobar.org> wrote:

> You've just given 3 weeks notice for a component change in one of the few
> critical part of the Internet's infrastructure, at a time when most
> networks have entered a configuration freeze (which will usually finish at
> the end of 2013 week one or week two), and where two of those weeks are
> holiday / slack periods in large parts of the world where many people won't
> be working.

To be clear:

 - there is no configuration change necessary in the next 3 weeks for resolvers
 - there is no configuration change necessary in the next 6 months for resolvers
 - even after 6 months, chances are resolvers which are not reconfigured will
continue to work as normal

> You are absolutely kidding, right?

These changes have happened before (other root servers have renumbered). I have
never heard of an operational problem caused by such an exercise, and I
guarantee there are resolvers running happily today with hints files that are
*ancient*.

> Can I politely ask you / UMD to please reconsider the timing and
> publicisation of this change because it has important operational
> consequences for the entire globe.

I think the trailing clause in your message above is over-stated. In fact,
there are near zero operational consequences.

Joe