On 10/25/13 07:59, Matthew Newton wrote:
For the last ~8 years we've used a very simple in-house bash
script that uses SNMP to tell the switch to write its config using
tftp, and then does a wr mem. It then checks the configs into a
subversion repository and e-mails out any diffs.

One criteria we had was that our config backup system wasn't going
to get CLI access to any routers if at all possible, and this
turned out to be a good alternative. I can't think of many times
when it's failed to work; occasionally the odd switch might not
respond, but that's rare.

The only possible issue being that we're 100% Cisco, so I don't
know if other vendors support the same MIBs.

I'll try and post the script (250 lines) somewhere if anyone's
interested.

Cheers,

Matthew

I have a very similar home-grown script, however I did need a mix of tftp and telnet/CLI depending on the particular platform (for instance recently I couldn't get the tftp approach to work with remote devices running IOS-XR or IOS-XE).

An overly simplified telnet module might look like:
-----------------------
#!/bin/sh
login=""
passwd=""
router=""
timeout=1               # increase this for larger configs

(sleep 1;
        echo $login;            sleep 1;
        echo $passwd;           sleep 1;
        echo term leng 0;       sleep 1;