On Jan 15, 2014, at 3:47 PM, Niels Bakker <niels=na...@bakker.net> wrote:

> * c...@bloomcounty.org (Clay Fiske) [Thu 16 Jan 2014, 00:35 CET]:
> [...]
>> Seriously though, it’s not so simple. You only get replies if the IP you ARP
>> for is in the offender’s route table (or they have a default route). I’ve
>> seen different routers respond depending on which non-local IP was ARPed
>> for. And while using something like 8.8.8.8 might be an obvious choice, I
>> don’t care to hose up everyone’s connectivity to it just to find local proxy
>> ARP offenders on my network.
>
> You'll never be entirely sure but obviously you're not limited to sending
> only one ARP request - this isn't The Hunt For The Red October movie.  We're
> talking a common misconfiguration here in this thread - or at least you were,
> two mails upthread.
>
> How will checking for Proxy ARP possibly hose up anybody's connectivity?  You
> realise that ARP replies are unicast, right?  And that IXPs generally have
> dedicated servers for monitoring from which they can source packets?

This is where theory diverges nicely from practice. In some cases the offender
broadcast his reply, and guess what else? A lot of routers listen to
unsolicited ARP replies.

So no, even though I consider it someone else’s bad behavior to broadcast an
ARP reply, I’m not willing to take the chance with an IP that doesn’t belong to
me.

-c