On Friday, August 01, 2014 04:44:29 PM Owen DeLong wrote:

> Even when mandated to unbundle at a reasonable cost,
> often other games are played (trouble ticket for service
> billed by lines provider resolved in a day, trouble
> ticket for service on unbundled element resolved in 14
> days, etc.).
>
> IMHO, experience has taught us that the lines provider
> (or as I prefer to call them, the Layer 1 infrastructure
> provider) must be prohibited from playing at the higher
> layers.

Agree.

In reality, though, we've seen Layer 1-only providers
becoming service providers (even when they previously
promised the market it would never happen), due to wanting
to stay "relevant".

I suppose if a Layer 1 provider were a government entity,
there is a higher chance they would never enter the Layer 2
or 3 space, but even then, there is strong lobbying in
politics that this could become a reality.

I've seen it happen a great deal in south east Asia,
Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Kenya, and now even South Africa,
particularly with Layer 1 providers that were government
entities built to enable fibre connectivity for management
of utility services (power, for example) and were then
tasked to offer Layer 1 services with the remaining fibre,
but currently find themselves now playing in Layer 2 and
above to make extra cash for the government.

It's hard...

Mark.