On Aug 12, 2014, at 3:22 PM, Doug Barton <do...@dougbarton.us> wrote:

> On 08/12/2014 11:19 AM, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm interested in knowing what sorts of material folks use to make
>> after-market dust filters for their various devices which wouldn't normally
>> have any.  This seems to almost be a necessity when these kinds of devices
>> are deployed in environments that are overly dusty and dirty (it should also
>> be implied that these environments are all in-doors and would have less than
>> ideal airflow and climate control).
>>
>> A material that is too dense will hider airflow and cause an immediate
>> increase in inlet temperature, which would exacerbate a potentially
>> threatening temperature situation in environments where the ambient
>> temperature is already in the mid to high twenties and above (that's 77 -
>> 86F+ for my American friends ;)).  A material that is not dense enough won't
>> do a very good job at filtering.
>>
>> Do folks just hack up HEPA filters or something?
>
> It sort of depends on what kind of stuff you're trying to filter out.

Small-ish stuff.  Your every day, run of the mill fine grain dust, tracked-in
dirt & sand, some construction particulate (metal shavings, etc).

> Panty hose actually makes a reasonably good filter for larger stuff, but
> Tom's question about how often are you going to service it comes into play,
> since you need to remove the debris that it catches periodically in order to
> avoid obstructing the air flow excessively.

Yup.  Depending, either a vacuum or a straight-up replacement of the 'filter',
I'd suspect.  Or maybe just a good shake in some cases.

> OTOH, you also have to have some thought towards what are the benefits of not
> having the internals of the system coated with dust, vs. slightly reduced air
> flow.

Indeed.  The internals can definitely handle non-metalic dust, as well as a
pretty wide temperature range (caused by either reduced airflow or an increase
in ambient temperature, or both), so I'd imagine it would be a appropriate
balance between the two.