We've used a few over the years. We had Packeteer Packetshapers originally but they became way too expensive once Bluecoat acquired them. $50,000 for an appliance to shape a 1 gig pipe. IIRC,$10,000 per year on maintenance at the time. These prices are after discount.We looked at the following to replace them.

NetEqualizer
Procera
Exinda

We went with Exinda and I like the solution. These days, I rely on it more for reporting and traffic/protocol analysis than for shaping, but the shaping does work as advertised. Keep in mind, these solutions can't shape on asymmetric traffic since they need to see the entire flow. If you have a pair of links, you'll need to cluster a pair of shapers so they can share flow information.

I also have tested out the traffic shaping on PFSense VMs and it works. I never pushed production traffic through them but my home firewall is a PFSense VM and the shaping works there. Not sure how it would handle a large number of clients though.