Philip Dorr wrote:
Could someone comment on why they chose systemd over upstart (other
than the Canonical CLA)? Or point to an article on it?

If you want to wade into the mess, the archives of the Debian Tech. Committee (https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/), for Dec 2013-March 2014, make for some interesting reading (if you have a Baroque sense of what's interesting).

The voting is documented here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727708 (I think - Debian decision making is incredibly convoluted.)

This article has some background that's reasonably accurate:
http://www.zdnet.com/debian-inches-towards-new-init-system-decision-amid-fallout-7000026128/

I seem to recall a summary document comparing the various available init systems, and how systemd came out on top - but I'll be damned if I can find it now. Some of the position statements are linked from here: https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem

Miles Fidelman