George Herbert wrote:

On Oct 21, 2014, at 6:03 PM, Jay Ashworth <j...@baylink.com> wrote:

GNOME is probably the linchpin.

But it's not just RH.  It's Debian, and by extension *buntu, and SuSE, and
at least one other major independent parent distro that I can't think of
just now...

And as far as I know, it's done; SuSE packages already largely don't even
include initscripts.
Enough to make a grown man fork RHEL (or, CentOS).

Which leads me to ask - those of you running server farms - what distros are popular these days, for server-side operations? We've been running Debian like forever (by way of Solaris and redhat) - but this systemd thing is making me rethink things. Seems like an awful lot of folks are now designing for the desktop, and it might be time to migrate to a BSD or Solaris derivative. What are others doing?

Miles Fidelman