We use OpsGenie for notifications (and on-call scheduling, etc). There are other similar options such as PagerDuty, etc, as well.

Notifications can be submitted to the service in a variety of ways (email, web API, etc), has a variety of integrations with other tools (Nagios, Pingdom, etc) to aggregate all of your alerts, and there is a callback mechanism where the user can trigger custom actions right from the app (for example, I wrote an interface for it such that when we get an alert, the on-call person can choose to restart the affected service -- or even reboot the entire VM hosting it -- right from within the OpsGenie app).

Each user can choose their method of contact (notification to the smartphone app, SMS, phone call, email, whatever), and on-call schedules (and exceptions) are easily managed.

It works for us... YMMV. ;)

- Peter