We approach this in the following empirical manner.

1) Who is available to you easily and within the budget.

2) Where is the other side of the network connectivity consumers ?
 i.e. do you need good connectivity to Cable Network ? ATT Broadband ? Europe ?
Mexico ? Latin America ?

3) What is the bulk of the traffic type ?  Consumer (Video / You Tube ? Netflix
? ) Business ? etc

based on the answers to above, I would look at the bgp.he.net to see each
options upstream connectivity, and check with peeringdb to see what could be
their peering relationships....  finding one that does not have a directly
Level3 relationship would be preferred.

Also, don't forget to do traffic engineering to nullify the Level3 traffic
engineering, (They prefer to keep traffic on-net even if there are better paths
available out of their network).

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street