On 2015-02-27 12:13, valdis.kletni...@vt.edu wrote:
Consider a group of 10 users, who all create new content.  If each one
creates at a constant rate of 5 mbits, they need 5 up.  But to download
all the new content from the other 9, they need close to 50 down.

And when you expand to several billion people creating new content, you need
a *huge* pipe down.

Ok, I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. The scenario you laid out does make sense.

You'd be better off arguing from the basis of protocols and applications that
need symmetric bandwidth (for instance, heavy use of Skype and similar, but
with HD video - you'll need as big a pipe for your outbound video as you need
for the inbound). Similar considerations will apply to at least some gaming
models, bittorrent, and so on. You already noted the remote backup issue - keep
focusing on that sort of thing.

Remote backup is the big bugaboo for me, having had 2 SSDs and a couple spinny platters eat themselves in the last year or so. It's a really irksome situation when I can, e.g. backup my entire work machine's /home partition to my home server in, say, X hours, but to back my home workstation's /home partition (a similar amount of cruft) up to the TSM server at work takes 10-15X hours, it makes backing up the home machine remotely (something the wife harps on incessantly after the crashes of last summer :) ) pretty impractical. And yes, I know what "incremental backups" are (TSM, remember? :) ) but jumpstarting that first full backup is a stumbling block to the whole scenario. *sigh*

Bruce H. McIntosh                            b...@ufl.edu
Senior Network Engineer                      http://net-services.ufl.edu
University of Florida Network Services       352-273-1066