Is it possible that they are getting return traffic and it's just a localized
activity?  The attacker could announce that prefix directly to the target
network in an IXP peering session (maybe with no-export) so that it wouldn't
set off your bgpmon.  I guess that would make more sense if they were doing
email spamming instead of ssh though.

-Laszlo