On 1 September 2015 at 16:33, Serge Vautour <sergevaut...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For those than run Internet connected routers, how do you get your NetFlow
> data from the routers to your collectors? Do you let the flow export traffic
> use the same links as your customer traffic to route back to central
> collectors? Or do you send this traffic over private network management type
> path? If you send this traffic over the "Internet" (within your AS), are you
> worried about security?
>
> Thanks,
> Serge

Hi Serge,

Not encountered any worries regarding security, typically
NetFow/ipfix/sFlow/etc is inside a management MPLS VPN so it is
segregated from customer VPNs through the network.

For the physical transport of the data, collecting the data via your
OOB network is probably preferred however "it depends".

Do you use NetFlow internally only or offer it as a chargeable
service? Do you also graph traffic stats via SNMP too? And so on and
so forth...

In past experience, NetFlow data was exported over the productive
links (the links also carrying customer data being measured using
NetFlow) without issue. I recall two occasions a DDoS disrupted the
NetFlow collecting because the DDoS traversed those links that are
being monitored and carrying their own NetFlow traffic. However SNMP
graphing was via the OOB network so we didn't really lose any vital
visibility. So we could still see from the like 1000% increase in
traffic which links along the network were being affected. A distress
call from the customer being DDoS also helps :)

Another part of the "it depends" puzzle is how much data you are
collecting via NetFlow? Again in a part experience we were testing
collecting everything (as much as we could), every single packet
header (no payload data though), rather than sampling say 1 in 10
packets for example. We only got as far as testing this in the lab but
one issue it threw up was we could generate several Mbps of NetFlow
traffic. Some PoPs have ADSL for OOB and wouldn't have been able to
support that so sites with ADSL or 3G OOB links would need the OOB
link upgrading, that required additional Capex, cue management budget
wrestle, blah blah...

Cheers,
James.