> On Dec 20, 2015, at 11:57 AM, Mike Hammett <na...@ics-il.net> wrote:
>
> However, keeping back 64 bits for the host was a stupid move from the
> beginning. We're reserving 64 bits for what's currently a 48 bit number. You
> can use every single MAC address whereas IPS are lost to subnetting and other
> such things. I could have seen maybe holding back 56 bits for the host if for
> some reason we need to replace the current system of MAC addresses at some
> point before IPv6 is replaced.

EUI-64 isn’t the only thing out there that expects hosts to have 64-bit
addresses.  That was only an example.

> There may be address space to support it, but is there nimble boundary space
> for it?

Yes.  Do the math.  If every end user got a /48 there’s still 281 *trillion*
subnets to go around.   The limiting factor in IPv4 is that nobody expected to
be able to connect 4 billion devices to the Internet when it was conceived.  I
really doubt that we’ll see 281 trillion people walking around any time in the
next 1000 generations of human civilization.

IPv6 is here to stay.

> The idea that there's a possible need for more than 4 bits worth of subnets
> in a home is simply ludicrous and we have people advocating 16 bits worth of
> subnets. How does that compare to the entire IPv4 Internet?

You’re still stuck on “LOOOOL ADDRESSES.”

> There is little that can be done about much of this now, but at least we can
> label some of these past decisions as ridiculous and hopefully a lesson for
> next time.

There isn’t going to be a next time.