On Fri 2016-Jun-10 13:08:48 -0400, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.li...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Mark Tinka <mark.ti...@seacom.mu> wrote:

On 10/Jun/16 16:47, Christopher Morrow wrote:

so I can't be a customer of you and a network you peer with?

You can, but we won't learn your paths via the peering session we would
have with your other ISP.

Wouldn't "learn but depref" be preferred and more common? E.g. customer routes get tagged with "customer route" community and local-pref'd to 150 or something; peer routes get tagged with "peer route" community and local pref'd somewhere below that.

Else any of your other customers that are single-homed to you can't reach your dual-homed customer A in cases where customer A's link to you is down, but customer A has other transits with whom you peer?

Unless it's mitigated by you accepting customer A's prefixes from any transits you have, which at the least seems sub-optimal (now reaching them via transit rather than peering if customer A's circuit is down) or possibly also up-ended if you also similarly apply "don't accept customer prefixes from transits".

No?

oh, so I didn't misunderstand.. that makes 'backup isp' less useful, no?

--
Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: h...@slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal