* Tom Beecher:

> An email to a user notifying them they're likely compromised costs
> basically nothing.

If this increases the probability that the customer contacts customer
support, in some markets, there is a risk that the account will never
turn profitable during the current contract period.  (Granted, my
information may be woefully out of date, but my impression is that
price-based competition is still pretty much cut-throat over here.)

> If you find me an ISP that can't afford to notify users, I'll show
> you one that shouldn't be in business anyways.

I'm not blaming the ISP.  (I may have done so in the past.)  If we end
up in such a situation, it's hardly the fault of one single ISP.

> There's this presumption of guilt here, that Sony is right, and Simon's
> subscribers are doing something malicious, yet they won't provide any
> evidence of that. Even if they didn't know what it was, come back with
> 'We're seeing weird bursts of [traffic characteristics] aimed at PSN during
> these times. We're not quite sure what it is, but it's causing [problem
> X].' It would still be a question of maliciousness or not, but it would be
> something to work with. Providing nothing just perpetuates this finger
> pointing game, and nothing gets solved.

Yes, indeed.  Resolving most networking problems needs cooperation,
because at the most basic level, the Internet is still about
connecting otherwise unrelated networks.