This is a very comprehensive article, and worth handing out to techs. I have
one comment on Balder’s OTDR suggestion, and one on the article’s microscope
instructions.

Although it certainly can’t hurt to run an OTDR test (except for extended
downtime), I fear hauling out the extra gear will prompt many techs to put off
fiber cleaning. In my experience, just doing the cleaning solves 99.9% of the
problem. Anything that an OTDR would pick up would likely severely impact
performance, while dirty connector will just increase the error rate.

Also, the article didn’t mention eye safety when using a fiber microscope. The
example showed a USB digital video microscope, but many maintainer kits in the
field have much cheaper direct-view optical microscopes. Viewing an energized
fiber with a direct-view microscope can cause major eye damage. I recommend all
fiber kits throw out their optical scopes and substitute a USB or WiFI scope
(some of these can be used with a cell phone or tablet).

 -mel