On 9/26/16 10:05 PM, Roland Dobbins wrote:
+1 for this capability in CPE.

OTOH, it will be of no use whatsoever to the user.  Providing the user
with access to anomalous traffic feeds won't help, either.

Users aren't going to call in some third-party service/support company,
either.

You start cutting off users or putting them into a walled garden until they fix their machines, and they will start caring.

This will only work if all providers including cable, DSL and *shudders* WISPs (hate to be blunt, but who from my experience tend to be the least experienced and network knowledgeable people running a customer network) do it so customer's can't just switch networks and 'make the problem go away'.

I use escalating price increases and delays in service/repair time on some of my consulting customers who do things I warned them to be more careful about.

It takes time, but when $cost starts to become prohibitive, they stop and think. And the ones that never learn... Well, that's more $$$ in my pocket for the effort that I would normally charge otherwise.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org