The issue doesn't happen with my previous router, and I've tested
multiple computers (one that isn't mine.)

It doesn't seem like it decrements over time.. it just dies sooner as I
trace further up the path.  I can consistently die at the 7th hop if I
try to go to Google, but if I trace to the 6th hop, it'll die at the 5th
hop!