On 6 Mar 2017, at 22:00, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.nordd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Encode extra address bits in extension headers. Add a network element near
> the destination that converts such that the destination IP of a packet to IP
> a.b.c.d with extension header containing e.f is translated to 192.168.e.f. In
> the reverse direction translate source address 192.168.e.f to a.b.c.d and add
> option header with e.f.

6to4 essentially did this already.  The main problem with 6to4 that made us
stop using it was communicating to non-6to4 (“native”) IPv6 addresses; if you
don’t want that, you have running code for both router and host side and plenty
of gear that already works.

(All this is still complete nonsense in the face of accelerating native IPv6
adoption; I write this just to show that the idea already has been implemented
out there.)

Grüße, Carsten