On 14/04/17 15:51, David Hubbard wrote:
> Hey all, have some Brocade MLXe’s that can no longer handle a full v4 and v6
> route table while also having VRF support (dumb CAM profile limitations in
> the software).  Mine don’t do anything fancy; just BGP to a few upstream
> peers and OSPF/OSPFv3 to the inside, management VRF, some ACL’s.  I’m looking
> at the ASR9001 with add-on ports since I need (10) 10gig.  However, I’ve also
> been running some Arista 7280SE’s for the past 18 months with no issues, and
> they want me to consider their 7280R since it would give me more ports, in
> addition to some higher speed ports, which would be nice if I ever want to
> upgrade some of our peering to 40 or 100gig.
>
> Arista’s specs say the 7500R / 7280R can handle 1M ipv4+ipv6 routes in
> hardware (FIB):
>
> https://www.arista.com/assets/data/pdf/Whitepapers/FlexRoute-WP.pdf
>
> In theory, it would last at least a few years if the v4 table doesn’t get too
> crazy between now and then.
>
> Curious if anyone has deployed a 7500R or 7280R in this role and what the
> feedback has been?
>
> The 9001’s 4M ‘credits’ for the combo of v4 +(2)v6 routes obviously goes much
> further, but I think either one would make it to their expected end of life,
> or if not on the Arista side, I’d probably have spent half as much.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

I have a bunch of 7280R in a edge-peering role in as2603 network. Works really
well and now with the latest additions of subroutemaps and a very optimistic
road-map for features i think these style boxes will definitely see more
market. Comparing the price of a 7820R 1Tb box with like a Juniper MX with 1Tb
worth of ports its not even on the same play-field.

I wouldn't count on the 1M routes to last a lifetime but on the other hand its
very easy to re-skill the box to something else. If we look at broadcoms
road-map there is also new 7280s destined to come out quite soon with the
Jericho+ chipset, broadcom promises 20-25% table-increase so we will see what
arista, cisco and the others boils it down to when the chip has gotten a box
wrapped around it.

--
hugge