From: Michael Krygeris [mailto:m...@krygerism.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 9:35 AM
To: Lee Howard <l...@asgard.org>; Luke Guillory <lguill...@reservetele.com>;
Sean Pedersen <spedersen.li...@gmail.com>; nanog@nanog.org
Subject: Re: ISP billing - data collection, correlation, and billing

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 4:48 AM Lee Howard <l...@asgard.org
<mailto:l...@asgard.org> > wrote:

Depending on the capability of the exporter, you don't need to export full flow
information. With Cisco's Flexible Netflow you can define the aggregation in
the flow cache you are monitoring. You are not required to use a 7-tuple.

An aggregation could be something basic like this:

Source interface

Destination interface

Octets

Packets

This would give you SNMP equivalent for byte accounting on interfaces without
requiring full flow accounting IF you're not forced to do sampling and IF you
have flexible netflow.

Another much more recent method around SNMP (sorry SNMP, I'm over you) is
streaming telemetry, which is part of Netconf/YANG/OpenConfig.

This is more of a push method for these yang data models(the relevent one here
being snmp interfaces table).

It already exists on some Juniper and Cisco platforms.

Mike Krygeris

On 7/14/17, 2:47 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Luke Guillory"
<nanog-boun...@nanog.org <mailto:nanog-boun...@nanog.org>  on behalf of
lguill...@reservetele.com <mailto:lguill...@reservetele.com> > wrote:

>On the HFC / CMTS side of things we have IPDR which I believe has some
>open source collectors out there. I'm not sure that IPDR is used much
>outside of the HFC world though.

IPDR was my first thought as an alternative to SNMP. Is its accuracy
comparable? It’s been included into TR-069, so it’s theoretically
available to telcos, too. And usage-based billing is part of it’s purpose.

Not sure I’d want to use NetFlow/IPFIX, since by nature it tracks flows,
not bits, and I don’t want to record flows. But I’d be interested in
hearing others’ experience.

Lee