From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-boun...@nanog.org] On Behalf Of Ronald F. Guilmette
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 1:50 PM
To: nanog@nanog.org
Subject: AS29073, 196.16.0.0/14, Level3: Why does anyone peer with these
schmucks?

Sorry for the re-post, but it has been brought to my attention that my
inclusion, in my prior posting, of various unsavory FQDNs resolving to various
IPv4 addresses on AS29073 has triggered some people's spam filters.  (Can't
imagine why. :-)  So I am re-posting this message now, with just a link to
where those shady FQDNs and their current forward resolutions may be found.  (I
also took the opportunity to clean up some minor typos.)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I think that this is primarily Level3's problem to fix.  But you be the judge.
Please, read on.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Over the weekend, I stumbled upon an interesting blog calld "Bad Packets",
where a fellow named Troy has written about various unsavory goings on
involving various newtorks.  One network that he called out in particular was
AS29073, formerly called "Ecatel".  on his blog, this fellow Troy has noted at
length some break-in attempts originating from AS29073 and his inability to get
anyone, in particular RIPE NCC, to give a damn.

    https://badpackets.net/the-master-needler-80-82-65-66/

https://badpackets.net/a-conversation-with-ripe-ncc-regarding-quasi-networks-ltd/

https://badpackets.net/quasi-networks-responds-as-we-witness-the-death-of-the-master-needler-80-82-65-66-for-now/

The fact that RIPE NCC declined to accept the role of The Internet Police
didn't surprise me at all... they never have and probably never will.
But I decided to have a quick look at what this newtork was routing, at
present, which can be easily see here:

    http://bgp.he.net/AS29073#_prefixes

So I was looking through the announced routes for AS29073, and it all looked
pretty normal... a /24 block, check, a /24 block, check, a /21 block check...
another /24 block, and then ... WAIT A SECOND!  HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!  WHAT'S
THIS???  196.16.0.0/14 !!!

So how does a little two-bit network with a rather dubious reputation and a
grand total of only about a /19 to its name suddenly come to be routing an
entire /14 block??

And of course, its a legacy (abandoned) Afrinic block.

And of course, there's no reverse DNS for any of it, because there is no valid
delegation for the reverse DNS for any of it... usually a good sign that
whoever is routing the block right now -does not- have legit rights to do so.
(If they did, then they would have presented their LOAs or whatever to Afrinic
and thus gotten the reverse DNS properly delegated to their own name servers.)

I've seen this movie before.  You all have.  This gives every indication of
being just another sad chapter in the ongoing mass pillaging of unused Afrinic
legacy IPv4 space, by various actors with evil intent.
I've already documented this hightly unfortunate fad right here on multiple
occasions:

    https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2016-November/089232.html
    https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2017-August/091821.html

This incident is a bit different from the others however, in that it -does not-
appear that the 196.16.0.0/14 block has been filed to the brim with snowshoe
spammers.  Well, not yet anyway.

But if in fact the stories are correct, and if AS29073 does indeed have a
history of hosting outbound hacking activities, then the mind reels when
thinking about how much mischief such bad actors could get into if given an
entire /14 to play with.  (And by the way, this is a new world's record I
think, for largest single-route deliberate hijack.
I've seen plenty of /16s go walkabout before, and even a whole /15.
But an entire /14?!?! That is uniquely brazen.)

In addition to the above, and the points raised within the Bad Packets blog
(see links above) I found, via passive DNS, a number of other causes for
concern about AS29073, to wit:

    Shady FQDNs (incl possible child porn ones) on AS29073 moved here:
    https://pastebin.com/raw/f4M09UKL

(In addition to the above, I've also found plenty more domain names associated
with AS29073 which incorporate the names "Apple" "AirBnB", "Facebook", and
"Groupon", as well as dozens of other legitimate companies and organizations.)

I confess that I have not had the time to look at any of the web sites that may
or may not be associated with any of the above FQDNs, but the domain names
themselves are certainly strongly suggestive of (a) the possible hosting of
child porn and also and separately (b) the possible hosting of phishing sites.

So, given the history of this network (as is well documented on the Bad Packets
blog) and given all of the above, and given what would appear to be the
unauthorized "liberation" of the entire 196.16.0.0/14 block by AS29073, one
cannot help but wonder: Why does anybody still even peer with these jerks?

The always helpful and informative web site bgp.he.net indicates that very
nearly 50% of the connectivity currently enjoyed by AS29073 is being provided
to them by Level3.  I would thus like to ask Level3 to reconsider that peering
arrangement in light of the above facts, and especially in light of what would
appear to be the unauthorized routing of the 196.16.0.0/14 block by AS29073.

Surprisingly, given its history, AS29073 apparently has a total of 99 different
peers, at present, and I would likewise ask all of them to reconsider their
current peering arrangements with this network.  I am listing all 99 peers
below.

Before I get to that however, I'd like to also note that there currently
exists, within the RIPE Routing Registry, the following route object:

route:          196.16.0.0/14
origin:         AS29073
mnt-by:         QUASINETWORKS-MNT
mnt-by:         EC42500-MNT
mnt-routes:     EC42500-MNT
mnt-routes:     M247-EU-MNT
created:        2017-03-28T21:47:03Z
last-modified:  2017-08-11T19:58:39Z
source:         RIPE

I confess that I am not 100% sure of the exact semantics of the "mnt-routes"
tag, but it would appear from the above that the UK's M247 network (AS9009)...
which itself is not even peering with AS29073... appears to have, in effect
countersigned the above RIPE route object, vouching for its correctness and
authenticity as they did so.  Why they would have done that, especially given
that they themselves are not even peering with AS29073, is, I confess, beyond
me.  But I would love to have them explain it, or even try to explain it.
It's enigmatic, to say the least.

Anyway, the "created" date in the above record seems to be consistant with that
actual start of the announcement of 196.16.0.0/14 by AS29073, which the RIPE
Routing History tool says occured sometime in March of this year.

One additional (and rather bizzare) footnote to this whole story about the
196.16.0.0/14 block has to do with the entity that allegedly -is- the current
rightful owner of the block (as far as Afrinic is concerned).
That entity is designated by the Afrinic handle ORG-IA41-AFRINIC and that in
turn has an admin-c and tech-c of NAIT1-AFRINIC.  The record for that handle is
as follows:

person:         Network and Information Technology Administrator
address:        Unit 117, Orion Mall, Palm Street
address:        Victoria, Mahe
address:        Seychelles (SC)
phone:          +972-54-2203545
e-mail:         i...@networkandinformationtechnology.com
nic-hdl:        NAIT1-AFRINIC
mnt-by:         MNT-NETWORKANDINFORMATIONTECHNOLOGY
changed:        i...@networkandinformationtechnology.com 20150725
source:         AFRINIC

Upon fetching the current WHOIS record for networkandinformationtechnology.com
I found it more than passing strange that all of the contact details therein
are associated *not* with anything in Africa, nor even anything in the home
country of AS29073 (Netherlands) but rather, the address and phone numbers
therein all appear to be ones associated with a relatively well known Internet
attorney in Santa Monica, Califiornia by the name of Bennet Kelly.

As it happens, in the distant past (about 10 years ago) I personally crossed
swords with this particular fellow.  He may be a lot of things, but it never
seemed to me that stupid was one of them.  And indeed the domain name
networkandinformationtechnology.com and all of its connections to the
196.16.0.0/14 block appear to date from 2015...
long before AS29073 started routing this block (which only started in March of
this year).

So, my best guess about this whole confusing mess is that the -original-
legitimate owners of the 196.16.0.0/14 block most probably sold it on, in a
legitimate transaction, to some other party in 2015, where that other party
was/is represented by Mr. Bennet Kelly, Esq.  And my guess is that neither he
nor the new owners, who he represents, even know that their expensive /14 has
gone walkabout, as of March of this year.
I will be trying to make contact with Mr. Kelley today to discuss this with him
and will post a follow-up if any new and interesting information arises from
that conversation.

Regards,
rfg

Peers of AS29073:
1       Level 3 Communications, Inc.
United States
                AS3356
2       REBA Communications BV
Netherlands
                AS56611
3       Hurricane Electric, Inc.
United States
                AS6939
4       Core-Backbone GmbH
Germany
                AS33891
5       Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.
Switzerland
                AS13030
6       RETN Limited
Ukraine
                AS9002
7       COLT Technology Services Group Limited
United Kingdom
                AS8220
8       State Institute of Information Technologies and Telecommunications
(SIIT&T "Informika")
Russian Federation
                AS3267
9       GlobeNet Cabos Submarinos Colombia, S.A.S.
Colombia
                AS52320
10      Digital Telecommunication Services S.r.l.
Italy
                AS49605
11      IT.Gate S.p.A.
Italy
                AS12779
12      green.ch AG
Switzerland
                AS1836
13      UNIDATA S.p.A.
Italy
                AS5394
14      GEANT Limited
European Union
                AS20965
15      IP-Max SA
Switzerland
                AS25091
16      Lost Oasis SARL
France
                AS29075
17      nexellent ag
Switzerland
                AS31424
18      SEACOM Limited
Mauritius
                AS37100
19      Angola Cables
Angola
                AS37468
20      ENTANET International Limited
United Kingdom
                AS8468
21      Blix Solutions AS
Norway
                AS50304
22      POST Luxembourg
Luxembourg
                AS6661
23      Zayo France SAS
France
                AS8218
24      Wind Telecomunicazioni SpA
Italy
                AS1267
25      Swisscom (Switzerland) Ltd
Switzerland
                AS3303
26      Pacnet Global Ltd
Hong Kong
                AS10026
27      SURFnet bv
Netherlands
                AS1103
28      SEEWEB s.r.l.
Italy
                AS12637
29      BIT BV
Netherlands
                AS12859
30      euNetworks Managed Services GmbH
Germany
                AS13237
31      CAIW Diensten B.V.
Netherlands
                AS15435
32      netplus.ch SA
Switzerland
                AS15547
33      DOKOM Gesellschaft fuer Telekommunikation mbH
Germany
                AS15763
34      ADISTA SAS
France
                AS16347
35      Viewqwest Pte Ltd
Singapore
                AS18106
36      Digital Ocean, Inc.
European Union
                AS200130
37      Digital Ocean, Inc.
Netherlands
                AS202018
38      Open Peering B.V.
Netherlands
                AS20562
39      Services Industriels de Geneve
Switzerland
                AS20932
40      Cemig Telecomunicaes SA
Brazil
                AS23106
41      SG.GS
Singapore
                AS24482
42      Vorboss Limited
United Kingdom
                AS25160
43      equada network GmbH
Germany
                AS25220
44      Avantel, Close Joint Stock Company
Russian Federation
                AS25227
45      Gyron Internet Ltd
United Kingdom
                AS29017
46      IPROUTE SRL
Italy
                AS49289
47      LLC "TRC FIORD"
Russian Federation
                AS28917
48      Hostserver GmbH
Germany
                AS29140
49      Telekommunikation Mittleres Ruhrgebiet GmbH
Germany
                AS12329
50      Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.
United States
                AS30132
51      Liquid Telecommunications Ltd
United Kingdom
                AS30844
52      Paulus M. Hoogsteder trading as Meanie
Netherlands
                AS31019
53      Digiweb ltd
Ireland
                AS31122
54      Fiberax Networking&Cloud Ltd.
United Kingdom
                AS3252
55      Hivane
France
                AS34019
56      CELESTE SAS
France
                AS34177
57      Kantonsschule Zug
Switzerland
                AS34288
58      Citycable
Switzerland
                AS34781
59      SoftLayer Technologies Inc.
United States
                AS36351
60      Network Platforms (PTY) LTD
South Africa
                AS37497
61      Micron21 Datacentre Pty Ltd
Australia
                AS38880
62      Convergenze S.p.A.
Italy
                AS39120
63      Fiberby ApS
Denmark
                AS42541
64      IP ServerOne Solutions Sdn Bhd,
Malaysia
                AS45352
65      Easynet Global Services
European Union
                AS4589
66      IP-Only Networks AB
Sweden
                AS12552
67      Tango S.A.
Luxembourg
                AS48526
68      Les Nouveaux Constructeurs SA
France
                AS49463
69      CustodianDC Limited
United Kingdom
                AS50300
70      MCKAYCOM LTD
United Kingdom
                AS50763
71      Daisy Communications Ltd
United Kingdom
                AS5413
72      MC-IX Matrix Internet Exchange RS-1
Indonesia
                AS55818
73      NetIX Communications Ltd.
Bulgaria
                AS57463
74      Anycast Global Backbone
Australia
                AS58511
75      LUXNETWORK S.A.
Luxembourg
                AS29467
76      oja.at GmbH
Austria
                AS39912
77      Elisa Oyj
Finland
                AS6667
78      A1 Telekom Austria AG
Austria
                AS8447
79      Fusix Networks B.V.
Netherlands
                AS57866
80      ClaraNET LTD
United Kingdom
                AS8426
81      "OBIT" Ltd.
Russian Federation
                AS8492
82      Console Network Solutions Ltd
United Kingdom
                AS43531
83      NetCologne GmbH
Germany
                AS8422
84      Tesonet Ltd
Lithuania
                AS201341
85      Linx Telecommunications B.V.
Estonia
                AS3327
86      Strato AG
Germany
                AS6724
87      CJSC RASCOM
Russian Federation
                AS20764
88      Sunrise Communications AG
Switzerland
                AS6730
89      KPN B.V.
Netherlands
                AS1136
90      MTN SA
South Africa
                AS16637
91      Portlane AB
Sweden
                AS42708
92      TM Net, Internet Service Provider
Malaysia
                AS4788
93      Network Dedicated SAS
Switzerland
                AS62355
94      Next Layer Telekommunikationsdienstleistungs- und Beratungs GmbH
Austria
                AS1764
95      Telkom SA Ltd.
South Africa
                AS5713
96      ShockSRV Internet Services Private Limited
Netherlands
                AS60115
97      JUPITER 25 LIMITED
Netherlands