Hi Jack,

As OVH is a data centre, I find that extraordinary if eyeballs were the cost. VPN's may be popular but that seems excessive. Probably bots of some sort, scraping the internet.

-- Stephen

On 2017-10-02 3:57 PM, Jacques Latour wrote:
Hi all!

I'm working on our IPv6 and DNSSEC adoption report for Canada and the data I
use comes largely from APNIC (https://stats.labs.apnic.net/dnssec/CA) and
(https://stats.labs.apnic.net/ipv6/CA).

Labs.APNIC has a pretty cool system to measure this kind of stuff by deploying specially
crafted google ads, see "How Big is that Network?"
https://labs.apnic.net/?p=526, and APNIC is able to assess the population behind a
network based on ad placement distribution. See
https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA for Canada.

The question I have is why does OVH come #6 with an estimated population of
1,480,927 behind its ASN? Remember these are actual placement of ads.  Should I
count those users as part of my stats?

Rank    ASN     AS Name CC      Users (est.)    % of country    % of Internet
Samples
1       AS812   ROGERS-CABLE - Rogers Cable Communications Inc.
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     5,420,034       16.72
0.16    555,718
2       AS577   BACOM - Bell Canada
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     4,474,012       13.8
0.132   458,722
3       AS6327  SHAW - Shaw Communications Inc.
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     3,708,414       11.44
0.109   380,225
4       AS852   ASN852 - TELUS Communications Inc.
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     2,914,405       8.99
0.086   298,815
5       AS5769  VIDEOTRON - Videotron Telecom Ltee
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     2,189,946       6.76
0.065   224,536
6       AS16276 OVH     CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>
1,480,927       4.57    0.044   151,840
7       AS15290 ALLST-15290 - Allstream Corp.
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     1,272,374       3.93
0.038   130,457
8       AS855   CANET-ASN-4 - Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Inc.
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     1,211,485       3.74
0.036   124,214
9       AS7992  COGECOWAVE - Cogeco Cable
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     1,112,002       3.43
0.033   114,014
10      AS5645  TEKSAVVY - TekSavvy Solutions, Inc.
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     967,401 2.98    0.029
99,188
11      AS11260 EASTLINK-HSI - EastLink
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     695,598 2.15    0.021
71,320
12      AS47027 SEASIDE-COMM - Seaside Communications, Inc.
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     425,561 1.31    0.013
43,633
13      AS803   SASKTEL - Saskatchewan Telecommunications
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     392,186 1.21    0.012
40,211
14      AS11814 DISTRIBUTEL-AS11814 - DISTRIBUTEL COMMUNICATIONS LTD.
CA<https://stats.labs.apnic.net/cgi-bin/aspop?c=CA>     370,348 1.14    0.011
37,972

Jack