I question whether there is *any* high volume hoster out there that has a
reputation for successfully addressing abuse issues coming from their
customer base, and cuts off services...  By high volume hoster I define it
as companies where anybody with a credit card can buy a $2 to $15/month
VPS/VM in a fully automated process.

OVH just happens to be one of the largest and probably ranks in the top 10
worldwide by number of hypervisors and VPS. I doubt whether any of their
30-40 competitors that are smaller than them do much better, considering
the ratio of clued and attentive staff to VMs.