On October 11, 2018 at 13:41 s...@ottie.org (Scott Christopher) wrote:
 > Robert Kisteleki wrote:
 >
 > > (this is probably OT now...)
 > >
 > > > I'm pretty sure the "entire point" of inventing CVV was to prove you
 > > > physically have the card.
 > >
 > > Except that it doesn't serve that purpose. Anyone who ever had your card
 > > in their hands (e.g. waiters) can just write that down and use it later
 > > hence defeating the purpose of "physically having the card".
 >
 > But waiters don't know your ZIP code which is the other thing needed for
 > online verification (in the U.S.)

So be wary if they ask you for photo id which likely has your zip code!

But asking for photo id is a good thing for legitimate card holders,
could reduce fraudulent in-person use of stolen cards.

What a mess.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | b...@theworld.com             | http://www.TheWorld.com