Subject: Re: a detour DANE, was A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS
Hijacking Date: Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 01:07:09PM -0500 Quoting John Levine
(jo...@iecc.com):
> In article <20190227161327.ga27...@besserwisser.org> you write:
> >that is RFC 7208.[0]
>
> >[0] This document tries to deprecate RRTYPE 99 for SPF. By stating that
> >only TXT records can be trusted. ...
>
> This must be a very different RFC 7208 from the one that the IETF published.
>
> The IETF one says that nobody used type 99, and some of the few
> implementations
> we saw were broken, so we deprecated it.

We will never agree on that.  Because I think you were, and are,
wrong. Mostly out of eagerness and lack of patience.

I'm fairly certain you think I have no idea what I'm talking about. But,
to rehash, a little less subtle:

My point was that the general state of criminal ignorance about the
finer nuances of DNS is so wide spread that around 2038 we'll have an
abstraction layer entirely built out of mile-long CNAME chains, because
nobody remembers any other record type. CNAMEs we tried to forget too,
replacing them with something out of the olde annals of Compuserve, but
since the golden standard of resiliency and load balancing is a chain
of them pointing into a bookstore's spare servers, we really can't do
without them.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668