Shaw, Gerry wrote:

>What do people think of the following syntax for the <property> task:
>
><property prefix="win-vc7.">
>    <property name="cc"   value="${vs-net.dir}\VC7\BIN\cl.exe"/>
>    <property name="lib"  value="${vs-net.dir}\VC7\BIN\lib.exe"/>
>    <property name="link" value="${vs-net.dir}\VC7\BIN\link.exe"/>
></property>
>
>To produce the following properties:
>
>win-vc7.cc
>win-vc7.lib
>win-vc7.link
>
>The idea is to reduce duplicate values of the build value.

This is almost the same as the namespace issue but in a different form.
I think its a good idea. Howver the outer tag should probably be
<propertygroup> or somthing like that. I think the . seperator is fine.
I don't see a need for allowing custom seperators - it just seems to me
that it would add unnecessary confusion. '.' is already a pseudo
standard by its use for 'nant'. properties.
On a slightly different not it would be nice if we extended -projecthelp
to show all global properties ( or maybe a different option ). There was
a question on Nant-Users about how to reference environment variables.
If you could get a dump of all env, nant and custom global props it
would help the learning process.

Ian

>I've been using this locally for a while and find it really useful.  Other
>options would be to call the prefix namespace and have the '.' separator a
>default that could be changed via a separator attribute.  Ie,
>
><property namespace="win-vc7" separator="/">
>    <property name="cc"   value="${vs-net.dir}\VC7\BIN\cl.exe"/>
>    <property name="lib"  value="${vs-net.dir}\VC7\BIN\lib.exe"/>
>    <property name="link" value="${vs-net.dir}\VC7\BIN\link.exe"/>
></property>
>
>Would produce the following properties:
>
>win-vc7/cc
>win-vc7/lib
>win-vc7/link
>
>By default the separator would be a '.' character.

"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a
criminal offence." (Edsger Wybe Dijkstra)