I believe that there are a few important differences between SLiNgshoT and my VS project compiler, that I outlined in a previous message:

1. SLiNgshoT works on solutions, the code I've written works on projects
2. The build files that SLiNgshoT generates require resgen - this is included with VS.NET, but may require a license
3. SLiNgshoT works by assuming that project namespace + filename = resource names, while the code I have will generate the appropriate name to be compatible with the VS wizard code
4. This tool builds files to their appropriate output directories, as if VS had generated the output

I'm not adverse to some of the code I've got being put into NAnt or NAntContrib, but I personally would like to use a project-based compiler, rather than a solution to .build converter, so I'll be maintaining this seperately.

Bernard Vander Beken wrote:

Hello Matthew,

Your description sounds like what SLiNgshot does, a tool and a task that
are already included in the NAntContrib [1] project.
It converts VS.NET solutions to NAnt build files, as in the following
example:

<!-- Convert the Solution MySolution.sln to the NAnt build file
MySolution.build ... -->
<slingshot solution="MySolution.sln" format="nant"
output="MySolution.build"> <parameters>
<option name="build.basedir" value="..\bin"/>
</parameters> </slingshot>
<!-- ... and call the new build file. -->
<nant buildfile="MySolution.build"/>

However, the tool does not support all project types. Projects in C++
and C# are supported, including Web Projects.
If your compiler/task does the same as SLiNgshot, you may want to help
enhancing it.

Best regards,

Bernard

[1] http://nantcontrib.sourceforge.net/