I actually would like to consider nant as a real third-party product, it's
not because the soruce is available that you should adapt your own version
of it, so you also should not be building your own version, even if the
source code remains unchanged.

I want to be able to tell users that download our software to download
version X of nant and put the nant assemblies in directory Y, and now you
build our software using the default target in the buildfile.  That gives
users the assurance that I did not change anything in the nant source code,
and it makes sure that I don't have to store the binaries for nant in CVS.

NAnt currently uses the runtime in which it's executing to detetermine the
path of the compiler and the sdk tools, trhat's why it's important to have :

- versions built for the runtime against which you want the buildfile to run

or

- add the supportedRuntime elements to the nant configuration file, see my
other message title "Adding .NET Framework 1.1 as supported runtime".

but the second option does not allow you to choose the runtime version, it
will use the .NET Framework 1.1 when it is available and use the 1.0
framework when the 1.1 framework is not available.

We should also really start thinking about how to allow users to build
assemblis for multiple runtimes in one buildfile (and in once run of that
build file).  For now, I run NAnt on the .NET Framework 1.1 (by adding the
supportRuntime elements in the config file), this makes sure I can build he
.NET Framework 1.1 runtime version of  our assemblies and I set the
"doNotFind.dotnet.exes" property to true before we build the .NET Framework
1.0 version, and set it to false after that runtime version is built.

But I really think we should consider adding a new base class for tasks that
need to be aware of the runtime version they're targeted for.  This base
task could have an attribute for specifying the runtime name and version
(eg. NET-1.0, NET-1.1, NETCF-1.0, MONO-1.0) that the task is targeted for
and it would have methods for retrieving the Framework runtime directory for
that runtime and for retrieving the SDK tools directory for that runtime
version.

When this is in place, it's not really that important with which version of
the .NET Framework NAnt was built.  But it still think we need to consider
having both.