(from memory) mcs syntax and command line parameters are fairly different than
csc so, if you are a developer familiar with mono, you won't know the correct
syntax for the parameters if they are done in a csc sort of way.  Plus, the
compilers don't support exactly the same set of features, so to put the options
all in one would force nant to have the least common denominator.

Off hand, I would think that if mcs and csc both support references and
filesets, with excludes, it would be easier to allow the developer to specify
the compiler.  FWIW, the ide's that support mono, SharpDevelop(does it?) and
Eclipse(which uses Ant) with a plugin, have you specify the compiler.