Ooh.  Could you post the shell script?  I'd like to work on putting
something together to help folks get bootstrapped into NAnt from Linux.

(Hmmm... this might be a better long-term approach on both platforms.
Instead of including a previous set of NAnt binaries....)

Some maybe-not-so-useful findings in my first hour of fiddling:

NAnt.Core.dll compiles as long as ScriptTask.cs is excluded.  (I was
surprised as hell at how close it got...
/usr/lib/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll wasn't something I was expecting to
see come scrolling across my command line).
Although 'twould appear that support for CodeDom and all the goodies in
the Microsoft.VisualBasic and Microsoft.JScript namespaces is in the
works (those guys rule...), I'm betting it's a while before an approach
as meta-code as the ScriptTask is able to work in a cross-platform way.
I've got too much ecma oozing out my ears right now to think up
alternatives....

:)

Brian