----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian MacLean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Gert Driesen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Clayton Harbour" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2003 5:28 AM
Subject: Re: [nant-dev] Nant cvs task using sharpcvslib

> Gert Driesen wrote:
> > Great job, Clayton ...
> >
> > I only have two minor concerns :
> >
> > - should we have a more general name for the namespace for scm related
tasks
> > (and have a subnamespace for cvs ?), so we can add more scm tasks later
on
> > (eg. for sourcesafe, pvcs, ...) ?
> that should be easy enough - just move it all down a directory level

sure

> > - Can't these tasks actually be part of #cvslib itself ?
> That doesn't make so much sense. Should the ndoc task be part of ndoc,
> the zip tasks part of ziplib ?

this is exactly what the Ant team is trying to accomplish ... and its
actually working right now... major vendors (like Bea) now ship supporting
Ant tasks with their products ... and I really think it makes sense ...

although I think this is only possible when the NAnt API has stabilized, but
it should be possible in the end ...

what if there are 20 different popular scm systems, do you think it would be
more managable to have nant support these 20 vendors or would it be easier
to have each vendor support its own system ?

what if version X of cvslib offers more functionality than version Y ?  To
support this in NAnt we "should" actually have 2 tasks (emphasis on should)
like we have with NUNit right now, but if you move the tasks from NAnt to
the vendor library itself, you'll never have problems like these ... If you
use cvslib version X, you automatically also get the NAnt task corresponding
with that version ...

I think its impossible to have nant support each and every system out there