------------------------
 Ian MacLean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
------------------------

>Gert Driesen wrote:
>
>>John,
>>
>>We should .. euhm .. could ... (never say should, if there's a slight chance
>>that Ian is gonna read the mail .. LOL) also move to a fixed version number
>>for releases, now that all assemblies are built using a common
>>assemblyinfo.cs file.
>>
>I'll just ignore that part of that directed at me. Yep we *should* use a
>fixed version number. Thats part of the reason we moved to a common
>assemblyinfo.cs file in the first place isn't it ?

It was intended as a joke, but you know that right ...

Yes that was indeed part of the reason, but I just wanted to double-check just to be
sure we share the same opinion on this one.

>>I'll set a fixed version in src/CommonAssemblyInfo.cs in a moment (eg.
>>0.8.3.05000) . What you create the release version, you could actually
>>increase the revision number a little (eg. 0.8.3.05010).  That will allow us
>>to identify the version that a user is running.  The release notes could
>>then also mention the complete version number somehow, so we have a history
>>of releases and their matching version numbers.
>>
>>After you've created the release, you could increase both the build number
>>and the revision number (eg. 0.8.4.05020).  That will make it clear we're in
>>a pre-0.8.4 stage then ...
>>
>>Well, ofcourse this is just my opinion.  Ian, what do you suggest ?
>>"should" we do this ?
>>

>yep we *should* - it would be nice to have that build number
>auto-increment as part of the nightly build as well.

Yes indeed, perhaps I'll have a look at creating a task for that next week ... I have
a week off next week, so I should got some more stuff done (wasn't it for the fact
that my girlfriend is home too :-))