Lots of great questions.  Let me try to answer all of them.

MSBuild namespace == Microsoft.Build.* Under Build there are a few other
namespaces like Tasks.*, Framework.*, Utilities.* and Engine.*

MSBuild shipping vehicle == We will be shipping as part of the .NET
redistributable (aka with the CLR) in the "Whidbey" timeframe where
"Whidbey" is the codename for the next release of .NET and Visual
Studio, and as part of the OS in the "Longhorn" timeframe where
"Longhorn" is the codename for the next release of Windows.

What do "I" mean when I say core :) == When I said "Core" I meant the
core of MSBuild.  I was talking about some key MSBuildEngine level
concepts that we feel we should patent.  To elaborate a little bit on it
(and I can't elaborate much), these are concepts that are novel and
innovative in the build space, things you can't do today with Makefiles,
Ant or NAnt.

I can assure everyone that I would not dream of patenting anything that
you can already do (or are publicly planning on doing) with Ant or NAnt,
like having a declarative model for representing build operations
(tasks), or have an XML project file, or how you bind, instantiate or
configure a tasks to the project file.

The concepts that are undergoing patenting are MSBuild Engine level
concepts that we feel are really innovative (and most of them you
haven't seen yet).  You are absolutely correct when you speak about
prior art, and I want to be really clear that we are not even remotely
considering patenting anything where there is prior art in Ant or NAnt.

In short I'd like to offer that I don't think the few patents we are
filling will at all affect NAnt or Ant (and that is by design).  As I've
said before and I'll say again I LOOOOVE your communities, and I LOOOVE
to see all this passion around the build space since I (and the rest of
the MSBuild team) share that passion.

I also feel I should explain a little bit how we approach patents at
Microsoft and why we do it. We file patents not to deter other folks
(like you) from innovating in the future, but rather as a defensive
mechanism.  This way when people come after us we have patents as one
potential avenue of defense.

Hopefully this clarifies a bit the issue.  I'm sorry for being vague but
as you guessed I'm not really at liberty to talk about patent things in
detail, as I'm not a lawyer.  I think I have said too much already :),
and can feel legal breathing down my neck :).

Alex Kipman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Program Manager
Visual Studio Core Team

-- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.