Scott Hernandez wrote:

There are many places where inter-task communication would be useful. Having
the context of what is going on around a task is very interesting. I don't
know much about how msbuild works, but I get the idea this is what they are
pushing as the mechanism for tying together their tasks, and functionality.
The only problem I start to see is that there becomes a situation of
inter-dependence and a complication of context. If it gets to the point that
a task needs to know what is around it (preceding and such) to get its job
done it may get too complicated to write and test.

Yep - each task can survive on its own, but can use extra information from other tasks to perform a more integrated task or can just provide more information for other tasks to do the same (example eludes me at the current moment).

*XPathObjectNavigator stuff:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnexxml/html/xml03172003.asp
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/bbooprevalence/Bamboo.Prevalence/src/Bamboo.Prevalence.XPath/

+1 for XPathObjectNavigator. I was thinking about this myself. W

The XmlSerializer stuff can create xml schema for us, is this what you mean?

Yep. I didn't know if this was possible. If so, that rocks! ;)

If each xml object could tag along an associated schema, this would
enforce the validity of the object during user manipulation of the XML
object, allowing it to be "re-imported" into the NAnt world at some
later date.

Are you saying that we would serialize these objects to disk for use by nant
during another execution, or just during the current one? What is the
application of this?

Err... that was a think-o. By "later date" I meant "later time" in the build process. Still running on less than adequate sleep. ;)

The xml documents should be in-memory items within NAnt as you mentioned earlier. This doesn't preclude having an <xmlsave> or <xmlload> task to persist them longer, however.

Matt.