Can anyone give me a hint on how to create these assembly references in 1.0/1.1 via VS.NET? I haven't seen them before.

Gert Driesen wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian MacLean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Gert Driesen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Matthew Mastracci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Nant-Developers (E-Mail)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: [nant-dev] Re: ResGen assembly references?

Gert Driesen wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Mastracci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Matthew Mastracci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Gert Driesen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 3:13 AM
Subject: Re: ResGen assembly references?

<>Matthew Mastracci wrote:

After upgrading to the latest CVS version, I've found that the
<resgen> task is taking a long time to run for each project because it
seems to be copying all of the project references.

These are necessary, as resx files can contain references to types in the
project references. So <resgen> need to be able to instantiate these

types.

What's the reason for this behaviour?  We've never needed it before
and it increases our build time dramatically.  I don't think the 1.0
or 1.1 <resgen> tasks can even utilize assembly references.

We didn't need it as we didn't implement this yet. The resgen.exe tool

for

the .NET 1.0 and .NET 1.1 does not provide direct support for assembly
references, but you can trick it into the by copying the tool itself, and
all assembly references to the same (temporary) directory, and launching

the

tool from there.  This is what we do for .NET 1.0 and .NET 1.1.  For .NET
2.0 we just specify the assembly references on the command line.

Can't we do a quick parse of the resx sources to see if they require
those references ? A large number of cases do not require any references
at all.

Yeah we probably could ... Just didn't/don't have time for that, and didn't see much need for it at that point ...

I'm working on cutting down the time for a <solution> build in our
shop again (via profiling)- this is one of the biggest culprits right
now.  :)

I understand, but we can't sacrifice features for performance.

But on the other hand we shouldn't slow down *every* solution based
build in order to satisfy some corner cases if we can avoid doing so.

No ofcourse not, if we can combine performance and features, I'm all for it ;-)

Gert

begin:vcard
fn:Matthew Mastracci
n:Mastracci;Matthew
org:aclaro Softworks, inc.
adr:;;1900 a - 11 St. SE;Calgary;Alberta;T2H 3G2;Canada
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Software Developer
tel;work:(403) 299-6612
x-mozilla-html:FALSE