From:   Gary Feldman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Wed 9/15/2004 12:43 PM
To:     Nant-Developers (E-Mail)
Subject:        Re: [nant-dev] Output target framework at startup ?

NAnt's verbosity has been the subject of much discussion (not just me - e.g.
a recent post on the user's list that mentioned postprocessing the NAnt xml
log to make it reasonable).  I think that adding more output unconditionally
must be considered carefully, especially since many people are probably
already printing out such info on their own.

Suppose instead there were a <log> task, where
<log />
would put out some default info, while
<log>
  <logitem name="framework-version" />
  <logitem name="targets" />
  <logitem name="nant-version" />
  <logitem name="timestamp" />
  <logitem name="hostname" />
  <logitem name="host-os" />
  <logitem name="command-line-defs" />
  <logitem name="project-file-date" />
</log>
would do the obvious.  This would give the user much more control over
logging, and furthermore, would solve the problem of recursive nant
invocations producing redundant log info (by simply allowing the user to
omit the <log> task from the subordinare
nant files).  It would also provide a structure for future enhancement.

Gary