From: Ryan Boggs <rmbo...@gmail.com>
To: Markus Ewald <cy...@nuclex.org>
Cc: "nant-users@lists.sourceforge.net" <nant-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Sun, October 17, 2010 7:40:27 PM
Subject: Re: [NAnt-users] Thoughts on moving NAnt to git

Hi,

On Oct 17, 2010, at 4:04 PM, Markus Ewald <cy...@nuclex.org> wrote:

>  On 10/17/2010 4:01 PM, Markus Ewald wrote:
>>   On 10/17/2010 3:21 AM, Ryan Boggs wrote:
>>> Hey Guys,
>>>
>>> How do you all feel about moving NAnt to git?  Do you guys think that
>>> it would be a welcome change?
>>>
>> Is there any Problem we're having that git would solve?
>> I hear that git does faster branching/merging, but afaik the NAnt
>> repository is not a heavy user of those features, if at all.
>>
> In retrospect, I just noticed that NAnt uses CVS (I thought it was
> Subversion).
> Based on CVS' non-existent changeset support and the fact that it's
> getting harder by the minute to find someone who willingly has CVS on
> his system, I'd actually be in favor of moving :)

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons for this question right there. :)

There use to be a link for an svn repo in NAnt's SF site but it wasn't used as
primary, so it was removed awhile back.  That may have been a source of
confusion.  We've been using cvs ever since I joined the project.

If we were using svn today, I don't think I would be considering git right now.

And I suggested git because I have been using it lately for personal projects
and I like it.  Its easy for me to use on both *nix and Windows platforms.
Plus, it seems to be popular with other open source projects.
> When were you planning the move (if there was a consensus)? After the
> 0.91 release?

Yeah, I was thinking of sometime after 0.91 final is released.  It's good to
ask
around for opinions now though.

> -Markus-

Thanks,