I'm not sure where the "3D" prefixes came from in your original
posting but this is working for me (just tested):
<readregistry property="Python.Dir"
key="SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.7\InstallPath\" hive="LocalMachine"
/>

I am hoping that the above line isn't mangled in the email.  Don't
forget to include the hive in <readregistry>

Thanks,
Ryan