From: "Kenneth Good" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PROFESSOR GOOD AWAITS VERDICT IN LONDON AFTER BOTSWANA DEPORTATION
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:19:43 +0100

PROFESSOR GOOD AWAITS VERDICT IN LONDON AFTER BOTSWANA DEPORTATION

Australian Professor Kenneth Good, who was
deported from Botswana last month as a 'threat to
national security,' is currently in London
awaiting a decision on his appeal before the
Botswana Courts. The appeal case was heard on
Monday and Tuesday last week, but the judges have
reserved their decision until the end of July.
During the court hearing, Attorney General Ian
Kirby referred to Professor Good as an 'outlaw'.

Ken Good said today, 'My deportation is another
sign that the government of Botswana is heading
in an increasingly autocratic direction. It is a
defeat for democracy and free speech.'

Professor Good, who has taught politics at the
University of Botswana for the past 15 years, is
an outspoken critic of the government of
Botswana. In a recent paper he brought the
antidemocratic system of presidential succession
to public attention. He has also written and
spoken in support of the Bushmen, who were
evicted from their land coincident with the
discovery of diamonds there.

Good had both of his computers stolen in separate
incidents, within ten days of each other.
Botswana's president then accused him of
corresponding with NGO Survival International,
which supports the Bushmen. Vice-president Ian
Khama recently complained in the Sunday Times magazine,
'I believe one has to have democracy
but with disciplineŠ Kenneth Good has been
criticising us for years.'

Seventy-two year old Professor Good said today,
'I have had a great deal of support from my
students and from the public in Botswana. I hope
to be back in my teaching post at the university
very soon.'

Good was also deported in 1973 from what was then
Rhodesia, having criticised Ian Smith's regime.
He lives in Botswana with a seventeen-year-old
daughter who is still at school.

Professor Good is available for interview. Please
contact him on 0790 1641947 or email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
   Kenneth Good