Do you need a new computer but don't seem to have the money
to buy one? Check us out...With MyComputerClub.com you can
buy a new computer NOW and pay for it later. No credit
Checks - No credit turndowns! New Computers from $38/month
http://click.topica.com/caaahZYb1ddNBb2HgmNb/PlayersVacationClub
Victor Rocha wrote:
Norris seeks Navajo endorsement

By Marley Shebala
The Navajo Times

WINDOW ROCK (Feb. 28, 2002) - The question facing the two Navajo candidates for Arizona's new congressional district is who is "most electable."

Arizona state Rep. Debora Norris, 30, posed that question to the Navajo Nation Council's Intergovernmental Relations Committee last Friday, saying she is.

Norris

Norris is finishing her third term representing state legislative District 11, which is in the southern part of Arizona and has 95 percent non-Indians residing in it.

Congressional District 1 is in northern Arizona.

Norris said the congressional race is a terrific opportunity to elect a Native American because the district has a 25 percent population of Native Americans, which is the highest in the country.

"The bottom line is this district should logically be able to send a Native American person to Congress if we can get the vote out and coordinate it properly," she said.

Norris said the race for District 1 is among the country's top 15 because it's a swing district.

The district is 42 percent Democrat, 36 percent Republican and 18 percent Independent, which means it has a Democratic voter edge, she said.

But that doesn't always translate into people voting, added Norris.

"So everybody in the nation is looking at this particular race because it's going to be a very close race," she said.

But Norris said the interest of national political organizations such as the Democratic National Party and the Republican National Party is making people forget that this should be a Native American seat.

The Navajo Nation has 35,000 registered voters but 34,000 don't vote in primary elections, she said.

So people don't really know how powerful the Navajo Nation is, said Norris. "The sleeping giant is what the Navajo Nation is considered now."

She said the Navajo Nation has the power to elect the next congressperson but only if the people get out and vote and all vote for the same person.

"If you don't vote for the same person, it makes you less powerful," explained Norris.

She added that she'd like the Navajo people to vote for her but the need is to get the people out to vote for their candidate of choice.

Norris said, "I'm the only candidate who can win this election by the use of coalition with the education community, which I've been working with for six years now. I have an excellent record with environmental issues and health care issues and native issues.

"I believe that I have an edge because I'm a woman," she said. "And in Arizona that's proven over and over again to give you an electable advantage, especially in northern Arizona."

Norris said her ability to get elected in a district with 95 percent non-Indians and to work with all the tribes in Arizona shows she can get votes from all communities.

She is the first Native American woman elected to the state Legislature and would be the first Native American woman in the U.S. Congress.

Norris, who is Navajo and Tohono O'odham, said the Tohono O'odham Nation, San Carlos Apache Tribe, Gila River Indian Community and Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation have endorsed her. She also wants the endorsement of the Navajo Nation.

She noted that during her six years in office, she has successfully sponsored legislation that benefited the Navajo Nation, such as funding for senior citizen centers; tax sharing for Indian tribal colleges, which included Din* College; increased diabetes programs; health insurance for children; and rural health clinics.

Norris, who serves on the state's education committee, said she supported bills to decrease classroom sizes and sponsored a 2001 bill that opened up $200 million worth of bonding for schools in Indian Country.

She said the Red Mesa School District passed a bond for $8 million.

Norris explained, "Essentially what that means is we can start building better quality school buildings in Indian school districts and it's not going to cost the state money.

"There's school districts that never had a swimming pool and they're now going to have a swimming pool," she said. "Now they're going to have gymnasiums that they deserved all along."

She said it would also create jobs in rural areas where the economy is in a recession.

"So I just want you to know that I've been there for you all along for you and I'm looking out for the Navajo Nation and Indian tribes all over Arizona," said Norris.

The Arizona Business Journal named Norris one of Arizona's top 100 Most Influential people. She also was among 35 individuals selected from among the 50 states to attend a legislative leadership program last year.

Norris is also the first Native American to serve as the first vice chair for the State Democratic Party and is a member of National Democratic Party, which only as three Native American members.

Since Norris' presentation was listed as a report on the agenda of the Intergovernmental Relations Committee (IGR), the committee could only accept or reject her report.

The IGR unanimously accepted her report.

Norris said she plans to return to the council and ask for the Navajo Nation's support, which would include a request for $1,000 for campaign expenses for the primary election and $1,000 for the general election.

President Kelsey Begaye and Vice President Dr. Taylor McKenzie have endorsed Derrick Watchman for District One.

Watchman resigned as their chief of staff on Feb. 8 to begin his campaign.

WEB SITE: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/members/45leg/dnorris.htm

 http://www.thenavajotimes.com/Politics/politics.html#

--

André Cramblit: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Operations Director Northern California Indian Development Council

NCIDC (http://www.ncidc.org) is a non-profit that meets the development needs of American Indians and operates an art gallery featuring the art of California tribes (http://www.americanindianonline.com)

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
http://click.topica.com/caaacQXb1ddNBb2HgmNg/TopOffers
Visit and show your support for the Grass Roots Oyate
http://members.tripod.com/GrassRootsOyate

Clemency for Leonard Peltier. Sign the Petition.
http://petitiononline.com/Release/petition.html
This email was sent to: archive@jab.org