Gathering Place First Nations Canadian News ALERT
October 11, 2002
<> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><>

Request to the Government of Canada, Department of Indian Affairs and
                        Northern Development

We are the families of the Somena Nation and allied families.

We who sign this document ask that the Government of Canada recognize us as a separate nation and stop treating us as part of the  Cowichan Indian Band, also known as the "Cowichan Tribes."

Part I Reasons for our Request

History of Independence

Although we are natives of the Cowichan Valley and are sometimes  called "Cowichans," the Cowichan peoples are traditionally not one nation, but seven nations.  Those seven nations are the Somena,
Comiaken, Quamichan, Clemclemaluts, Khenipsen, Koksilah, and  Kilpahlas.  This is why the Cowichan Indian Band calls itself the "Cowichan Tribes" and lists Somena and the other nations on its official
emblem.  Even though the Chief and Council of the Cowichan Indian Band lists the name of our nation on its emblem, we have never agreed to  be ruled by the Chief and Council or to be part of the Cowichan Indian  Band and we insist on being independent of them
.
FOR THE REST OF THIS STORY

<> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><>
* This  news letter is © And is the property of
Gathering Place First Nations ,Canadian News
 Compiled by Sharon Green

**Special Thanks to ©Sunhill Production for the photos that were used to make Gathering Place First Nations Canadian News  logo
 *** If you would like our News and Special Reports sent out  to you, your family , friends or to  your list  Please Ask....
We would be more then happy to send it to anyone but
 Please Respect that this is someone's work and Ask......Contact me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sharon
on:en
Gathering Place First Nations Canadian News
http://www.gatheringplacefirstnationscanews.com/
Never befriend the oppressed
  unless you are prepared to
    take on the oppressor.
     (Author unknown)

If your not living on the edge ...
your taking up way too much space ...
 fr.my sistergirl Delsey
Visit and show your support for the Grass Roots Oyate
http://members.tripod.com/GrassRootsOyate

Clemency for Leonard Peltier. Sign the Petition.
http://petitiononline.com/Release/petition.html
This email was sent to: archive@jab.org