And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

* From: iktomi  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

* From: Keith & Bomba Easter  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://www.knoxnews.com/archives/browserecent/02011999/archives/14665

------------------------------
Burial mound in path of road
------------------------------

Ancient cemetery unlikely to stop parkway

February 1, 1998

By Jacques Billeaud, News-Sentinel staff writer

An Indian burial mound at the University of
Tennessee stands roughly in the path of a
proposed parkway that would link the university's
main and agriculture campuses.

But the mound, which preservationists are asking to
be protected, likely will not halt the parkway's
construction, said Luanne Grandinetti,
spokeswoman for the Tennessee Department of
Transportation, which is planning the project.

"But you never know how these things are going to
work out," Grandinetti added.

The four-lane road and an 800-foot-long bridge to
both campuses -- now separated by a
manufacturing plant, railroad tracks and Third Creek
-- was criticized as a back-room political deal and a
waste of millions of dollars.

Opponents want a smaller link that wouldn't
increase traffic through the campuses.

Transportation officials say the four-lane parkway is
the best use of state money because it will address
long-range traffic needs.

The project will continue despite opposition to it,
university officials said.

With design plans still being drawn, it's not yet
known whether the parkway would skirt the Indian
mound or cut through it, Grandinetti said, adding
that it's too early to say whether the parkway's path
might be altered. "We will do all we can to address
this situation," she said.

Protection of the mound has been urged by the
university's historic preservation committee and by
the Cherokee Indians, who believe they are
descendants of the Indians buried in the mound.

"I am committed to the continued protection of our
ancestral burials and hope the University of
Tennessee will rethink any actions which would
lead to their destruction," Joyce Dugan, principal
chief for the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians,
wrote to UT President Joe Johnson.

Johnson believes the mound, the only one on
campus, will be protected.

"I would certainly think that everybody would do
everything to preserve the Indian mound," said
Johnson, who is planning to pass Dugan's thoughts
along to the parkway's designers.

The mound, probably one of the few in East
Tennessee that hasn't been disturbed, should be
protected because it's a cemetery likely dating
back 1,000 years, said Charles H. Faulkner, an
anthropology professor on the university's historic
preservation committee.

But that's not to say that development hasn't closed
in on the mound, which is at the corner of Center
and Chapman drives.

"The two streets that go by the mound now are
close enough, and if that's expanded, it's going to
encroach further," Faulkner said.

While the mound is on the National Register of
Historic Places, that doesn't mean it's automatically
protected from being destroyed, said Betsey
Creekmore, chairwoman of the preservation
committee, which isn't recommending that the road

project be stopped.

"The committee feels this is a very important aspect
of the campus and it's important to our continuing
preservation of Native American artifacts and relics,"
said Creekmore, who is also the university's
associate vice chancellor for space and facilities.

John Nolt, a philosophy professor and spokesman
for Citizens for a Pedestrian-Friendly Campus,
wants the parkway scaled down.

If the parkway were reduced to two lanes, he said,
the mound would be protected, and he believes
much of the opposition would disappear.

Jacques Billeaud may be reached at 423-521-1833 or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Monday, February 1, 1999